How We Came to Be in Our Current House

In 2006, we discovered that we were expecting #4 and realised that the a small, three-bedroom back-unit-of-a-dual-occupancy which we’d lived in for ten years was no longer going to be suitable.  It was already beginning to feel small for our three growing children.  And so the search for a bigger house began.

First we had to sell our house.  While that experience took us on a ride I would not like to wish on anybody – real estate agents lacking integrity and all that – we did manage to sell our house in the end at an acceptable price. And with that, we were then better able to work out what houses that were for sale fell in our price range.

I noticed our house in the For Sale section on a Real Estate website.  It looked appealing, but it was a bit further out than we liked.  Nevertheless, I put it on our shortlist.  We looked at other houses higher up on the list first.  They were all ‘not quite right’ in one way or another, and finally our house was the only one left on the list.

One Monday morning, I called up the real estate agent and asked to arrange a time to inspect the house.

“Yes, you are certainly welcome to have a look,” he said.  “I will open the house for inspection at 11am – oh, and you have to be prepared to put in an offer today.”

In those days, my younger son had an Early Intervention Session.  While we were out, my husband’s cousin would come and babysit my older children and while she was over she gave them a piano lesson. However, on that particular Monday, there was no Session and usually when there was no Session, I would call up Emily to say I didn’t need a babysitter.  But, I left it till too late so I did not manage to cancel the lesson.  When the real estate agent told me that I could go and inspect the house, I realised that I could ask Emily to babysit all three children, leaving me free to inspect the house without any distractions!

When Emily arrived, I explained the situation: “There is no Session today, BUT could you look after all three children while I go and look at a house?”


So I drove here and had a look and fell in love.  It was so right and I could totally see us living here.  I walked from room to room again and again, and told the agent that I was really interested.

“Okay, but as I told you earlier on the phone, you have to be prepared to put in an offer today. I will open the house again for inspection tonight at 6pm and then anyone who wants can follow me to the office to put in their offer.  There’s been a lot of interest and the owners have said that they will only accept offers higher than [price mentioned].”

Since we had sold our other house, I knew exactly how much we were comfortable in spending on a new house and was pleased that the price mentioned was within our comfort range.

Then I had to call Mark at the office.

“I’ve just looked at a house and I think this is it.  I really like it and I think you would, too. The agent said that he was going to open it up again for inspection tonight at 6.  Do you think you can come and have a look?  And then, you need to follow the agent to the office to put in an offer.  Don’t worry about picking up Susannah from gymnastics or taking Jeremy to Boys’ Brigade; I’ll do that.  Just come and look at this house!”

(In case you missed it, our Mondays were very busy: Early Intervention Session, piano lesson, gymnastics, Boys’ Brigade.)

Now a run-down of events that followed that afternoon/evening:

* I took Susannah to her gymnastics class

* Mark left work early so that he could get to the house inspection on time

*6pm – Mark was inspecting the house

* 6:30pm I picked up Susannah from her gymnastics class and took Jeremy to Boys’ Brigade

* 7pm Mark followed the agent to the office to put in the offer

While he was there, he called me and said that he has put in an offer.  “There are a lot of people here.  Don’t be too disappointed if we don’t get it.”

And you know what?  I was totally at peace.  Although I really hoped we would get this house, I also knew that if we did not get this house, it was not meant to be.  “Okay,” I replied.

“I just want to make sure you’re not going to be too disappointed,” Mark pressed.

“I won’t be,” I assured him.

* 7:30pm Mark came home

* 8pm The agent called and told us our offer had been accepted.

So, there you have it.  In ONE day, we looked at a house we had never seen before, put in an offer, and it was accepted.  It all came down to being in the right place at the right time and everything falling into place exactly.  As a believer, I call it a God-thing.  And like all God-things, there’s more that meets the eye!

More to come…


About yewnique

I am a Malaysian-born woman who is married to an Australian and now live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a mother to four children. I home school. I like reading, writing, and cooking -- not necessarily in that order. I care about grammar and spelling, but am nonchalant about the Oxford Comma. I try to follow Christ's teachings.

Posted on Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, in Fun, Religion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. Very nice, I like this story. Sometimes, when things are right, it’ll just happen, because it’s meant to be.


Go ahead. Tell me your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: