Made these a while ago. Found the pics in my Pictures folder and decided to post them.
3 cups plain flour
5 tbsp hot water
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
few drops yellow food colouring
1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Rub lard into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in hot water to form a firm dough. Knead lightly on lightly floured surface.
3. Roll out to 3mm thickness and cut out with an 8cm fluted cutter. Place into greased patty tins.
4. To make custard, beat together eggs and sugar. Gradually add milk. Mix in food colouring. Mix well. Pour mixture carefully into pastry cases.
5. Bake in hot oven (250-260C) for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to moderately hot (220-230C) for a further 10-15 minutes until set. (All temperatures are for electric ovens. Gas oven temperatures will vary.)