Banana Chiffon Cake
I must be in a baking mood. Three chiffon cakes in two weeks is not like me at all.
This time I attempted banana chiffon cake.
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tbps. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine plain flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
2. In another bowl, combine mashed banana, vegetable oil, water, egg yolks and vanilla extract.
3. Make well in first bowl, pour contents of second bowl into the first. Beat until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks. Fold gently into the batter.
5. Pour into an ungreased 25-cm (10-inch) chiffon cake tin and bake at 160C for 70 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and turn upside down immediately, resting on some kind of support. (I used a large funnel.) Leave to cool. This can take over an hour.
7. Remove cake from pan and enjoy.