Ham and Leek Rice-Based Quiche
This recipe uses a rice base and is gluten-free.
- enough cooked rice to cover the base and sides of quiche dish
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- pinch of salt
- oil or butter for frying, abt. 1 Tbsp
- 2 cups of diced ham
- 2 leeks (pale section only), washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Crack one of the eggs into a medium-sized bowl, beat it lightly and then stir in the rice and softened butter. Grease a shallow quiche dish and spread the rice over the bottom and sides of the dish, pressing it down with the back of a spoon to make a smooth, firm base.
- Put the rice crust into the oven for 10 minutes, to firm it up before you add the topping.
- Heat up oil or butter in pan. Fry sliced leek until soft.
- Put diced ham in and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon ham and leek mixture into quiche pan. Top with cheese.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over leek mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Can be served either hot or cold. (We had it cold since it is a hot day.)