I LOVE Indian food and one of the things I like is a dish with shredded cabbage, carrots, dried chillies, curry leaves and spices. My local Indian restaurant/take-away does NOT have this on their menu (for shame!), but the proprietor was kind enough to tell me its name (I didn’t even know its name and had to describe it to him!) and told me it is actually quite easy to make at home.
Cabbage Poriyal is a South Indian dish and goes really well as an accompaniment to an Indian meal. We had it tonight with our fortnightly Chicken Briyani dinner.
- 1/4 head cabbage – shredded
- 2 carrots – shredded
- thumb-size knob of ginger – shredded
- about 10 curry leaves
- 3-4 dried chillies – seeds removed
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil and add in the mustard seeds until they crackle.
- Add in cumin seeds, dried chillies and ginger and cook until ginger is slightly browned.
- Add in curry leaves and onions and cook until onions soften.
- Add in the cabbage and the carrots and salt to taste and cook until done.