Foodful Friday: Madras Beef Curry
Got the idea from here. Tweaked it a bit.
- 2 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chilli powder (or to taste)
- 3 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 kg chuck steak, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, pepper, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, and lemon juice in a bowl to form a paste. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add spice paste. Cook for 1 minute. Return beef to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until meat is coated with paste. Add tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until beef is tender.
- Remove lid. Cook, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Serve with rice and salad.
Picture from recipe site:
What I got:
The meat, if cooked properly, should be so tender it breaks apart when you pierce it with a fork.