Foodful Friday: Spicy Beef Stew
If you are not a fan of hot, spicy foods, do NOT let the name of this dish put you off. It really is very delicious and you can always adjust the heat to your taste!
1kg beef chuck, cut into 2.5cm chunks (I used stewing beef)
1 large onion, chopped
a thumbsize knob of fresh ginger, minced
25og tomato paste
2-3 cups beef stock (or chicken stock or water)
8 cloves garlic (I used a whole bulb)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 bird’s eye chilli (or to taste)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Combine chilli paste ingredients in a blender or pestle and mortar and blend/pound until well-combined.
- Heat a little bit of cooking oil in a heavy-based pan and brown the beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- Place onions in pan and saute until soft. Return beef into the pan and stir until well-combined.
- Put chilli paste, ginger and tomato paste into pan and stir until well-combined.
- Pour beef stock (or water) into pan until the water just covers the meat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours or until the liquid has reduced AND the meat is tender and breaking apart. Check periodically to see if more water needs to be added.
- Serve with white rice and vegetables.